Buying property can be very emotional and many times it will cloud sane judgment. It is therefore advisable that you always view property with someone – two pairs of eyes are better than one. Often agents will highlight only the best aspects of the property and when you are alone it is easy to get influenced. We share a few secrets here to make property viewing enjoyable and fruitful.
- Start with the exteriors: Many times, people forget to check the exterior walls, roofs, pipes, and drainage during viewing. Inspecting the outside is as important as examining the interiors of a property.
- Take a slow: Do not come for viewing with some pressing matters to follow because it is important that you examine the house in detail and without having to rush or you will miss crucial aspects of the house. Take time to look around the neighborhood and if possible, to talk to some neighbors too.
- Schedule daytime viewing: the first time view the house in broad daylight as this will give you an idea of the ambient light and how well ventilated the house is. You can request for multiple viewing at different times to gauge the neighborhood and the lighting.
- Get a full survey: You have to make sure that the house has no structural issues and all underlying issues are resolved by the previous owner. You must mainly look for damp which will be visible from peeling wall paint, mold and the musty smell we are all familiar with.
- Test the fixtures: Unless you are planning on renovating and refurbishing the entire house you must check all the fixtures are in working condition, the electrical wiring is well concealed and there are no open wires anywhere, the loft is well insulated and the water pressure is proper.
Don’t forget to take pictures of the house – only after asking the agent – as this will give you a better idea on how to space your furniture. In case you are looking for tips, there are more at luxtime to help you transform a house into a home.…